View Single Post
Old 07-10-21, 18:01

This is proving most informative!

For almost 50 years now, I have seen many World War Two Wireless Sets, which were equipped with a Pocket Watch Holder. The vast majority of these have been of the wartime Bakelite design, but I have seen one, or two pre-war issues done in the mentioned black finished brass. In all instances, this holder has been provided for use by the Wireless Operator to store their Pocket Watch while on duty. The Pocket Watch in question would have been the standard issue G.S.T.P. watch, built to common specifications by many manufacturers. This watch was an item that could be purchased by any service member, with cost charged to his payroll. Somewhere I have a document to that effect, giving the VAOS Number and actual charged cost, which was around $5.00 or $10.00 Canadian during the war.

These G.S.T.P. Pocket Watches were great at growing legs and running away, so the smart Wireless Operator would have it wound and set when coming on duty, place it in the HOLDERS while on duty and retrieve it when coming off duty.

I have been looking more closely at the 52-Set over the last 24 hours and, Surprise, Surprise, it is different.

The Master Parts Lists for the 52-Set provide the usual detailed illustration and the following Description:

WATCHES, Non-Magnetic, WT, similar in design to average pocket watch. VC 7563 C.M.C. 108-012

The Parts Listings in the back of the Operator’s Manual shows 1 Watch marked off under ‘ANCILLARIES’ and notes it being “Mounted In Case On Receiver Panel.”

Page 17 of the Manual holds the comment, “On the panel is fastened a watch holder which contains quite a good watch. Be sure that you do not remove it accidentally.”

Bruce Parker’s assessment of the locations of the HOLDERS, Watches on the 19-Sets is Spot On. The Mk II location is God Awful to work with and the Mk III a huge improvement.

On the Wireless Set No. 52, the HOLDERS, Watch is up high on the Receiver Top Panel. A standard G.S.T.P. Pocket Watch will fit in the HOLDERS, but not without considerable care getting it in and out. The problem is with the Ring fitted to the stem and the large round ball type Crown. They leave very little room to work with and the Ring must be oriented forward to make it all work. But once you do all that, anyone with chubby fingers will be really challenged to reach the Crown to wind the watch, should that need arise.

It would appear, Canadian Marconi Company anticipated that problem and solved it by ordering a special Pocket Watch with no Ring on the stem (the holes are still there) and a Crown that is flattened across the top, which barely reaches the mid-point diameter of the standard Pocket Watch Ball. This Pocket Watch goes in and out of the HOLDERS easily and can also be wound in situ if needed.

Rats! Another item back on my B-List.

David