Thread: Pistons ID ??
View Single Post
Old 20-03-23, 02:57
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill m View Post
Hello Mike,
Norm Withers passing marks the end of an era. I remember Hillman Spares in Blackburn very well and it's morphing into Spares galore in Ferntree Gully.
I used to wander around the FTG store searching for a "bargain" and remember all the Ex military Land rover stock lying around. Automotive Surplus in Mitcham was mentioned as purchasing some of Norm's stock when spares Galore ceased trading. Norm's brother Graham was a fixture in the drag racing community and ran a speed shop in Melbourne and Norm's son Jim does the classic car parts stuff as well but I assume you already know all that.
Cheers
Bill
Hi Bill, I hope you are keeping well.

I did have a read online and found some information on Hillman spares. Before you mentioned it, I did not know Norm's brother was into drag racing and had the shop. Yes Jim does the classic car supply business, I knew that. Norm raced Hillman Imps during the late 1960s.

Spares Galore in Ferntree Gully..yep . Used to go to the Blackburn shop for Ford V8 bits, they would have 'specials' on sale, the split valve guides were $2 a pair and ignition points about the same, he had Ford piston sets and bearings too. He had parts for just about anything.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad