View Single Post
Old 29-04-14, 01:10
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
When Canada first deployed to Cyprus it has been asserted that the Canadian troops used British Ferrets on loan.
Robin,

I've also read that Canadians used British Ferret scout cars in Cyprus, but it had nothing to do with a lack of scout cars available on initial deployment. Canadian Ferrets were available right from the beginning. Seven Ferrets (a troop) of the RCD were flown to Cyprus on Yukon aircraft at the same time as the R22eR. The remainder of the squadron arrived on HMCS Magnificent with the rest of the heavy vehicles.

The use of British Ferrets comes from photographs of Canadians using Ferrets with a turret, which the Canadian Mk I versions did not have. It might have been on the Canadian Ferret website, but the assertion was that any Canadian photographed operating a Ferret with a turret was in a British vehicle. I think the reason behind their usage was the extra protection it offered the vehicle commander. I'm afraid that's all I can recollect from what I read years ago.

So, look for photographs of Canadians operating scout cars with a turret, and then see if you can determine a British Army or Canadian Army registration number. It's as good a place as any to start.

Cheers,
Dan.