Thread: For Sale: Thompson SMG Drum Mags
View Single Post
Old 12-04-13, 00:50
Richard

Default Magazines - what is legal etc

HI Robert, all is good but the other fellow is correct only the drum magazine is allowed un-plugged the stick Bren mags need to be plugged t 5 rounds so be carefull. Another example of stupid laws (or stupid law makers) is an Enfield magazine (303) is ok in full capacity (8 rounds) if it is in an Enfield rifle because of it's historical value but.... if you take the same magazine and put it in the semiauto rifle (I forget which model) it has to be pluged to 5 rounds!!!!
As far as Sten magazines go, they are found once in a while but they have also gone underdround, you can find them if you ask around (same thing as Grease gun mags) and some people do what the other fellow and I do which is deactivate them (for display only) and some plug to five rounds. Another example is you can own an unplugged snail drum for a luger but as we all know the luger is now a short barrel pistol and it is prohibited except to those who have the permit.
The problem is if you start to just ask around for machine gun magazines be carefull - who knows who may come knocking at your door!!!!, after all machue guns are scary and the goverment frowns upon such items.
Anyways enough my blood pressure is going up.
I have always thought a list of plugged and deactivated magazines available for people with deactivated machine guns would be a great source for collectors but it would also make a great list for the authorities togo snooping around and who needs that!!!!! so instead we are all on our own. By the way, last thing -
you should hear of the stupid law about machine gun links and belts for those who have a semi auto belt fed and want to shoot it. I was speaking with an RCMP officer at the Calgary gun show on the Easter weekend. This is the "official" rule as best I understand it. If the links are manufactured before 1947 you can use as many as yiu want linked together as log as you want, If the links are made after 1947 you can only link5 rounds. Now for a belt, they are excempt to any capacity for historical rweasons so they ca be any capacity - length. Now back to the links, it is based on a reverse onus, you have to prove when the links were made to show they are legal!!!!! not they have to prove the links are post 1947 - good luck with that one. All for now . Richard