View Single Post
Old 15-08-07, 11:09
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Hanoo, it is funny you should mention obtaining snippets here and there. this seems to be what I have been finding as well, as there is no definative one stop place to find all the info.
It seems some fellows with info are not exactly forthcoming in sharing, that is they hoard it for their own personal pleasure (its mine all mine mentality)
At any rate, it would be good to put all the Canadian contract info in one place.
I will try and get all the details down on the forum as time permits and I come across whatever I have.
I do value the opinions of all in this discussion and surely arguements will crop up on specific points.
As far as the colour thing goes, it seems to me that even the experts disagree on what is right or wrong.
Going from the paint as it appears on parts of my 505 contract jeep, they certainly appear to my eye to be the same as US 33070 colour.
Even the US based guys can't agree on specific colours on their own jeeps so this is one of these quandries that may or may not ever be answered. As for my jeep, it will be painted in standard US colour as found.
Thoughts anyone?
Just continuing cutting and pasting snippets of information here until we have all the facts.

In Maple Leaf Jeeps (Wheels & Tracks issue no.1), Bart Vanderveen writes (bold font added by me):
  • "Our copy of Parts List TM-10-1512 of April 1942 (Willys-Overland MB 'Government Truck') has a rear pocket containing a Parts Price List and two separate lists of (a) Parts peculiar to the US Marine Corps Truck and (b) Parts peculiar to the Light Utility Vehicle built for the Canadian Government. Both lists give different parts numbers for scores of items, many of which differed from the US Army versions only in colour. Included are such major assemblies as the frame, the body and others such as hood (bonnet) and windshield (windscreen)."
I feel this is an important piece of information adding to the other pieces pointing towards the Canadian Jeeps being painted a different colour than the standard US Olive Drab.
The challenge continues to endorse this line of thought and to determine which colour it was. During 1941- 42 the Standard Camouflage Colour Shades ( S.C.Cs.) came into use alongside and then supplanting the greens from the period before that. The basic shade was Khaki Green 3 or S.C.C. 2, while during 1942- 44 M.T.P. 46/4A prescribed S.C.C. 2 as “Basic Paint” for vehicles.

When exactly were the Canadian contract Jeeps ordered?

From the visual clues listed here I'd say the most likely colour is Khaki Green 3, as this dark rich yellow-green would weather and age into what looks a lot like US Olive Drab?

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,
Hanno