View Single Post
Old 04-12-17, 07:01
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
The Portuguese Frigate came to check on them after the hurricane in which they were widely presumed lost.
Hi All

If you read the lower paragraph on page 189 of HALF SAFE and the next two pages, you will clearly understand that Ben had worked out that he did NOT have enough fuel to reach Madeira , therefore, he radioed for help and he specifically asked for a fuel delivery, as described on page 191 .

" how we might snare fifty to sixty gallons of petrol "

The ship Flores, its primary task was to sail out to supply the fuel to Half Safe.

re: the earlier rescue, The book I am reading says that Ben pointed a signal light at the Norwegian tanker and tapped out SOS and that Ben had a hammer ready to make holes in Half Safe to sink her.

I believe the 1950's Half Safe book which didn't sell that well, is actually a very good read and the critics were unfair and harsh in their judgement . The pommy critics could not resist the opportunity to bring down another brash colonial upstart. There are few autographed copies of Half Safe around , I have seen one but don't have one myself.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad