View Single Post
Old 24-09-06, 14:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Re: C8

Quote:
Originally posted by John McNarry
From reading the thread you gave me Tony I agree it is a C8. Is the bell housing and front axle the same as the civillian trucks of 1940?
Of course the steering arm would be different as it is RHD.
The rear axle looks the same as GM civilian stuff but did they use adapters to go to the military style wheels?
Thanks,
John
The C8 parts list has the front axle I beam part number , it is the same number as the civilian 1940 3 ton truck , but the C8 has the smaller car brakes fitted , and smaller king pins , you would need to check up on this .

The C8 rear springs/ axle housing are from the civilian 1 ton truck of 1940 , but with a shorter torque tube . The axle half shafts are standard civilian also . They fitted adapters to take the 9.00-13 rims . Quite a few C8's here have had civilian 16" car wheels fitted , as the 13 " tyres were hard to find , owners chucked away the military rims and adapters , and fitted standard car wheels .

The gear box uni joint in the C8 is a odd one , it's from the 1940 1/2 ton pickup WITH 4 SPEED gearbox . The 4 speed was a option on the 1/2 ton pickup , most of them had the car type 3 speed box , with floor shift . But if you ordered the 4 speed box in your 1/2 ton , they fitted a larger uni joint , this is what the C8 has in it . So don't buy a 3 speed uni , it won't fit . The uni was a weak point too, as many of them broke .

TRA280220 is my engine no. in the C8 .

The C8 is really a backyard special, GM Canada used "a bit of this, and a bit of that " in the truck , they seemed to use whatever was available from the civilian production line .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad