View Single Post
Old 25-10-21, 20:21

Default Microphone and Receivers, Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10 ZA/CAN 1570

I should have had my cataract surgery done BEFORE I started this project three years ago!

I say that as a preamble to I correction I must now make to a comment in Post #705, where I said my second set of Type 10 Headgear was a lighter coloured loom than the one I am restoring. Having dug it out this morning to examine, I find both headgear will be the same colour when completed and will match the two Drop Cords on the Main Set Supply Unit perfectly. Photos attached.

The plan is to use this complete headgear to map out all the connections correctly to make life easier when restoring the damaged headgear. Turns out it was a good thing I decided to do this.

Somewhere in its lifetime, a previous owner of this Type 10 Headgear made the same incorrect assumption about the headset straps on the Receivers as I had done back in the 1980’s when starting to learn about the Wireless Set No. 19 equipment.

At first glance, I had assumed the solid metal headset strap with the black padding went over the top of one’s head and the canvas strap wrapped around the back of your neck. I learned very quickly that by doing that, it is impossible to get the two receivers centred properly over ones ears. There is no vertical height adjustment available. A good friend sorted me out on that problem. I have now discovered somebody had the same wrong assumption and switched the bands around on this Type 10 Headgear. Once might be able to get away with that error with the Type 10 because in employs oval ear cushions rather than round ones so there is a slight height fudge factor present in them. Whoever designed the oval cushions, however, must have been aware of this problem in the field because the word ‘TOP’ is cast into one end of the oval. If all the parts of the headset are assembled correctly, the ‘TOP’ does indeed indicate the top of the entire headset assembly, not just the cushion and the harness leads end up at the bottom of the two receivers. Also, the left receiver lead ends up on the left side of the Grip & Clamp Assembly and the right receiver lead on the right side of the Grip & Clamp Assembly, with the larger Microphone lead in the middle.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10  ZA:CAN 1570 5.JPG   Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10  ZA:CAN 1570 6.JPG