View Single Post
Old 07-10-21, 12:05
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
My 2P worth thinks it was local. I had bought an unopened box of 6 watch holders and upon opening there were just the holders, no extra bits. I've found no documentation on field changes with the holders or stores numbers for the backing. Looking at the many photos on google where the holder is visible none have padding. I think the solution (has been verified) was to remove the offending watch and store safely in a padded pocket.
I'd agree with "added by the user to stop it rattling". The GS/TP (General Service/Trade Pattern) watches that were probably used later on came in a variety of case thicknesses (also stem lengths) and would have needed some sort of packing to avoid vibration affecting the movement.

The original watch was the "Watch, W/T, Non-Magnetic" in a chrome plated iron case (to reduce any effects of the magnetic field from the power supply dynamotor(s) on its timekeeping), and was actually cheaper than the standard pocket watch. Later they used 'B' series watches (both of these types were manufactured without bows (specifically for use in holders), and I think to a specified overall size (the ones I have are reasonably consistent in terms of thickness).

The original watch holders were plated brass, but volume requirements led to the introduction of the bakelite version (which retained the same designation and stores code).

Long-stemmed watches probably won't fit the WS19 Mk.3 (fouling the power input connector), which is almost certainly why the holder was fitted to the front of the supply unit (where it is much easier to wind and set the watch without having to remove it from the holder) on the Canadian set. (I know my W/T Non Magnetic won't fit in the holder between the connectors on a British WS19 Mk.3, other watches are fine.)

(My father commented that the issued watch did not keep good time and that he used his own (a gift from an uncle - and quite how he managed to hang onto it given all the forced migration to Russia and then travel to Iraq is something of a mystery) that watch would have stayed in a pocket.)

Best regards,
Chris.