View Single Post
Old 27-11-21, 03:44

Default Progress

With the Vic Office of the National Archives of Aust still closed and delaying access to some research files I need, work on our home completed, and the weather decidedly cooler, I had the chance to get some work done on the Ford GPW.

Still some items to be done such as the steering hub seals, steering box, and so on. I have an original set of steering hub seals, but when unpacked, the felt strips had gone rock hard. I've had one soaking in oil to see if it will become pliable, but after a couple of days of immersion, it's looking like a lost cause. Will have to purchase a new set.

New steering hub king pin bearing races and cups, all Timken, fitted. When it comes to bearings and seals, I believe in buying a known brand of good quality from a supplier like Rockauto, as many of the traditional jeep parts suppliers don't state the brand they are selling, and I won't risk getting cheap bearings or seals (having been 'bitten' a couple of times).

All brake drums were machined, externally sand blasted, and painted both externally and internally (masking off the machined braking surface.) Wheel bearings all cleaned, checked with a magnifier and, as they showed little sign of wear, repacked with grease. New Timken double-lip seals used on all wheel hubs. Wheel bearings are easy to get at if any do develop a problem - I don't take that risk with transfer case or gear box bearings.

New brakes lines manufactured, fitted, bled and the brake linings adjusted. Wheels sandblasted, primed, painted and fitted with new Firestone tubes, flaps and Deestone 6-ply 600-16 tyres. I opted for Deestone tyres this time as they were substantially cheaper than STA or Goodyear, but still have good reviews regarding quality. The supplier, Giga Tires, was prompt in despatching them, too.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
21-11-25-05-s.JPG   21-11-25-04-s.JPG