View Single Post
Old 17-11-21, 20:43

Default It's a Mk.VIA

Hi Lynn,

Aust purchased Vickers Mark VIA, not Mk.VIB - the thread title is misleading.

The misidentification of the MG No.2 Mk.1 was my fault in my reading of the contract card sourced from the Tank Museum. The card heading is 'armoured MG carriers No.2 Mk.1, followed by '150 Arm MG Carriers No.2 Mk.1; next 250 Bren carrier No.2 Mk.1; 26 Bren Carriers No.2 Mk.1', then the census number listing which includes T2831 is headed 'Bren' on the first line, then 'Carriers Machine Gun No.2 Mk.1' below. Any wonder I got confused!! But Mea culpa ...

Australia built 158 LP1, with the last 2 being experimental types more like the LP2, but still listed as LP1. (There is some confusion here that I've not been able to solve, as the number '160' appears on the side of a test rig similar in concept to the earliest iteration of a 'light tank' in what became the Australian Cruiser tank programme.)

Colin: as far as I'm aware, the Vickers Mk.VIA at Duxford was rebuilt in the UK from a wreck sourced from Australia, and utilised whatever parts were available and provided with the purchase. Two of the Aust Vickers Mk.VIA were sold to the Budge Collection, one (the worse of the two) was restored by RR Motors and then went to the Littlefield Collection. The other was sold to the IWM after Budge went bust. See my article on the Vickers Mk.VIA in the KVE newsletter circa January? 2018. You also have to remember that the Vickers tanks were used extensively for training from the time of their arrival until 1942. Track changes due to wear and tear were inevitable and as Aust carrier track was the same, so it is likely the Aust tracks were fitted in service.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 17-11-21 at 21:42.