View Single Post
Old 12-01-20, 23:24
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Lionel,

I've never had a dedicated welding bench, but do have a bench that is ordinarily used for welding among other things.

The bench has a steel sheet top and a swivel vice at one end. The other has a 'work bar' - a 6 inch x 1.5 inch x 3 feet MS bar which is clamped onto the bench with two pieces of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/4 inch MS angle, each angle clamped to the bench with a pair of 1/2 inch bolts. By loosening the nuts, the bar can be slid inwards or outwards to provide a varying length of support appropriate to the job in hand. Work can be clamped to the bar, and the angle piece can be used to hold work against. It is a pretty simple arrangement but has proved adaptable to virtually every job I've used it for.

Every so often, I sand off the weld splatter from the bar and re-dress the edges back to right angles. It is useful for a wide range of jobs, not just welding. My other work bench has a similar arrangement, but with the workshop having a wood floor, I don't use that bench for welding, just the one in the garage with concrete floor.

Mike
G'day Mike,

Thank you very much for posting the photograph of your work bench and bar. I have not seen a "work bar" before. I can see its flexibility of use though.

Can you please provide the dimensions of your table: width, length and thickness of bench top; plus the overall height from the ground up to the working surface of the table top?

Are there any supports underneath the workbench if so what are they made of and to what centre spacings?

Thanks again for posting Mike.

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2