View Single Post
Old 12-01-20, 23:04

Default Simple bench work bar

Lionel,

I've never had a dedicated welding bench, but do have a bench that is ordinarily used for welding among other things.

The bench has a steel sheet top and a swivel vice at one end. The other has a 'work bar' - a 6 inch x 1.5 inch x 3 feet MS bar which is clamped onto the bench with two pieces of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/4 inch MS angle, each angle clamped to the bench with a pair of 1/2 inch bolts. By loosening the nuts, the bar can be slid inwards or outwards to provide a varying length of support appropriate to the job in hand. Work can be clamped to the bar, and the angle piece can be used to hold work against. It is a pretty simple arrangement but has proved adaptable to virtually every job I've used it for.

Every so often, I sand off the weld splatter from the bar and re-dress the edges back to right angles. It is useful for a wide range of jobs, not just welding. My other work bench has a similar arrangement, but with the workshop having a wood floor, I don't use that bench for welding, just the one in the garage with concrete floor.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Bench Bar.JPG   Bench bar 2.JPG