Thread: Toggle switches
View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 15:04
Marty Morren

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled on the intended manner of working for the lighting. I'm currently fixing a problem with the lighting system in my '43 C8A and was wondering if anyone can help me.
I am hearing some different stories about what the switches will do in different scenarios.

When I look at drawings made of the wiring I come to the conclusion that each switch will operate a different set of lights. (This is confirmed when I look at the plate behind the switches (Tail, Tail+Side and Tail+Side+Head).
But... Someone told me that the Tail and the Tail+Side switches must be ON to turn on the marker lights. (As a sort of fail-safe for blackout driving. American vehicles have a system where the light switch cannot be pulled out completely without pushing another button on the side). The same goes for the headlights. So the Tail, Tail+Side and Tail+Side+Head switches must be ON to get the headlights to turn on.

My C8A is currently wired in a way so that a combination of the above happens. I have to set the Tail to ON to get the Tail+Side and Tail+Side+Head to work. But I do not have to turn on the Tail+Side to get the Tail+Side+Head to work.

I do understand how the switches work, I just don't know in what manner they are supposed to operate. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

My 1943 Chevrolet C8A HUM