Thread: SCC No.2 Brown
View Single Post
Old 16-10-10, 14:55
MLU Administrator

Richard,

During the Second World War British AFV and vehicle camouflage was determined by a number of Army Council Instructions (A.C.I.s) and Military Training Pamphlets (M.T.P.s), with General Orders (G.Os) used in the Middle East. Colours used were supplied pre-mixed, matching two British Standards: BS.381C of 1930 and BS.987C of 1942, together with some non-standard paints for specific purposes. S.C.C. No.2 complied to BS.987C: Camouflage Colours 1942, amended 1944 & 1945 (ref. Mike Starmer).

As far as I can ascertain, Standard Camouflage Colour (S.C.C.) No.2 Brown, along with the other British colours, were adopted by the Canadians for all practical purposes and intents.

Some people will say the Canadian variant was lighter or darker, but I have not found any publications which endorse the fact that "Canadian brown" differed from the British specification for S.C.C. No.2. Variations in colour are all due to different batches, manufacturers and aging of paint. And Khaki brown, Canadian Brown, Dog Turd Brown, etc. are all different names for S.C.C. no.2.

HTH,
Hanno