View Single Post
Old 01-09-07, 08:04

Nice photos as always, thanks!

As for Scammell Pioneer.
Yes, the photo seems to show 6" howitzer being towed by Scammell... but it is rather strange! The point is that Scammell was intended for towing heavy artillery like 7.2-inch Howitzer that weighed more than 10 tons while 6" howitzer weighed less than 4.5 tons in traveling position (for reference, 60pdr weighed about 5.4 tons). So it would be not rational to use Scammell as regular traction for 6" howitzer. It could happen but this is rather an exception than a rule... Or am I mistaken?
I'm almost sure the British did used something lighter for this purpose. Besides, other Commonwealth countries didn't use Scammell (as artillery tractor) at all as far as I know. But at the same time all Commonwealth armies had medium artillery so they had to adopted a gun tractor to tow them. So, what were the most used regular medium "towers" then?

To Gunner: Yes, it must be very good book but I am not sure that book is accessible in Russia... Do you have it, btw?

PS: Moderator has moved this topic from "Softskin" to "Gun Park". I'm not sure that it is correct but thanks anyway!

Last edited by Leonid; 01-09-07 at 08:43.