View Single Post
Old 10-11-11, 12:20
Tony Baker

Default WC's (Wheel Cylinders, not Water closets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Tony
When the cost of a new one is similar to the resleeving in stainless steel one has to think about which in the long run is best. A brand new wheel cylinder will eventually rust and deteriorate particularly with the significant seasonal changes. On the other hand a rebuilt WC with SS lining should last a life time...... in fact the rubber boots would be the first to dry up and crack.

The life of a NEW WC would also be affected by the frequency that the vehicle is actually being driven. Putting your vehicle away for the Winter for months with no driving probably causes more damage than a whole Summer of driving.

Bob
We're a bit lucky up this part of Australia. Winter temperatures rarely get down to 0c even in mid winter. We don't really have to hibernate vehicles, unless that is because of fuel price these days. Southern states don't fare so well with temps though. A good pair of gloves and a "Dr Who" scarf would protect against the winter cold.

There is more information about my old WCs that I didn't speak about. The threads on brake line nut & bleeder screw were suspect strength from corrosion and a safety concern for me. Previous owner dismantled lots of things, then stored them in a wooden box within a leaky shipping container. The WCs and some other parts in box were more deteriorated in storage than would have been on the truck. Well I can't really say that for sure, but they certainly went down hill in storage. This is also the case for front cylinders.