View Single Post
Old 13-06-21, 20:11

Default PANELS, Phenolic, 30-Tag ZA/CAN 4234

This Tag Panel is located in the upper left back corner of the receiver chassis. A full on view of it is available once again in Post #579, Photo 4. This photo also shows how the Tag Panel I removed yesterday (the two capacitors of which are just visible at the left of this photo) blocks access to this PANELS, Phenolic, 30-Tag. This Tag Panel was likely installed prior to the other one from yesterday being mounted.

Three mounting posts are used to fasten this Tag Panel in place. The holes are asymmetrical which means the panel can only be mounted in one position; the correct one. This Tag Panel holds five capacitors and eight resisters, along with six jumper wires. Interestingly, the jumpers on this PANELS are rather eclectic. Two have yellow sleeves, two black and two are standard traced leads.

In working with these PANELS, Phenolic, Tag lately, I have begun to make sense of the assembly process. Resistors were mounted first. Then the oil and paper capacitors were installed, often with the preinstalled resisters trapped between pairs of capacitors. Next, other capacitors followed by the jumper leads and lastly any single leads that would be soldered to other components on the chassis at a later point in assembly. These single leads are the ones I have left in place on the Tag Panels, unsoldering them at the other components, where they are usually more accessible.

I suspect that once these Tag Panels were installed, the connections to the major laced harness assemblies would be completed. These harnesses could either be pre-existing in the chassis at the time the Tag Panels were installed, or installed themselves at a later point.

David
Attached Thumbnails
PANELS, Phenolic, 30-Tag  ZA:CAN 4234 1.JPG   PANELS, Phenolic, 30-Tag  ZA:CAN 4234 2.JPG