View Single Post
Old 10-03-03, 15:14

Default reply to Bob and Hanno

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Bob: That's a white Tremclad gobjob on the rims and bumpers...not chrome. My first mission was to lose the fire engine look and make it green. There were no plates on the door but there is a full set on the instrument panel. The transfer case shifting diagram indicates that the shift moves straight forward and back to engage/disengage the front axle. Yet I seem to have a winch brake too. When I looked at the transfer case shifting lever again, I see that it has a hole where a lift trigger would have been mounted. I'll have to wait until I get it started in the spring to see if there are other positions on the lever or if the linkage is just sloppy because I seem to have a low range position there. Another plate lists the piston firing order and engine capacities etc. Another warns you to only use 4 wheel drive when you need traction and the last advises you that proper lubrication is required.
I removed the inner motor cowling the other day to access the transmission to look for a serial number there. Of course its coated with 60 years of frozen grease and dirt. Do you have any idea where that serial number would be located on the transmission?
On the subject of headlights, I received an interesting accessory with the truck. Its a regular headlight bucket spring-mounted on a u-bracket as a back-up light. Apparently, it was mounted on the cab roof; although it wouldn't help much if you had a tarp mounted.
Hanno: The steel body from the Chev seems to be wide enough for my frame and the Chev has a 101" wheelbase so I'm hoping it'll be long enough. If need be, I could round up one of those tool boxes with the spare tire holder for behind the cab. Do you know when those tool boxes were introduced? Are they from the type 13?
I would much prefer a steel body, even if its not historically accurate. My original intention for the truck was to conserve it rather than restore it. Since I've had it for a while, I can see my attitude changing but for now I just want it to look like a truck.
I am going to start a new thread with some photos of The C8, if I can scope out how to get a bigger photo posted.
Again thanks to all.
Jim