View Single Post
Old 12-04-08, 12:33
former Resident Historian

Default Amazing!

I love this thread! I particularly like the Heer gentleman, whom I asume is Feldgendarmarie and directing traffic?

As to the source of the AIF and NZEF trucks, these must in my opinion have been amongst those assembled in or and shipped out to, Alexandria. These were then issued subsequently to he Dominion forces and then by agreement between the respective Governments, payment was made retrospectively it would seem in some case from sometime in 1941 by Pounds Sterling to the Ministry of Supply I would imagine via the High Commissions in London. Shane has copies of the Australian version of the paperwork! I have seen Xeroxes myself and it explained a lot. I doubt that there is anything in the Kew, London archives on this so thanks AWM! And Shane!

The trucks (and carriers etc.) as issued and then sold were sent to Greece, and Palestine/Trans-Jordan and as we know survivors were eventually shipped back to the Antipodes and the rest is history!

As to the Hellenic Army trucks, that's new to me and I can only assume that as with Cheverolet WAs assembled in Alexandria and sold there to the War Office in Egypt (that were then sent to Greece: see Wheels & Tracks photo in Athens) that these were local-theatre assembly and then sold to the Hellenic Government.

I regret that my dad was in post-war Greece (1946-7) and therefore cannot add anything. He has however been a small mine of info about British trucks in Greece in the immediate post-war era when the Communists were very much a force to be reckoned with. I gather that they used Bedfords then.