View Single Post
Old 10-11-07, 01:23

Default Company/Platoon research

Darren,

I have no specific information on the unit, but I've been doing similar research (with no luck so far) for a great uncle. Aside from the usual research in unit histories, etc., here are some ideas on places that you may find this info, though in my experience, you will need a bit of luck to find a Coy and even more to find a Pl. Hopefully, you haven't exhausted all of these yet:

1. War Diary at LAC - some units preserved documentation on reinforcement drafts and Coy postings (though many did not)

2. Part I Orders - at LAC, or they may be at the unit archives or the local/provincial archive the unit may have given their copy of these documents to. As above, some units were better than others at tracking Coy postings here. Check the days and weeks after his arrival for initial posting and any moves within the unit.

3. Medical/dental records in personnel file - sounds like you have his entire file, see if you can find anything that dates from his time with the unit. Often just the unit, but Coy/Pl info may be noted (though I've had better luck with this in the UK than while in combat)

4. Personal letters - his address would typically indicate Coy

Good luck.