View Single Post
Old 22-12-18, 23:53
MLU Administrator

Default CMP 4x2 15-cwt with British wooden GS body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
On p. 246 of Les Freaty's British Military Trucks of WW2 I found this interesting picture of a Ford CMP F15 4x2 truck fitted with a British-built cargo body.

My hypothesis is that these trucks were originally assembled as Truck, 15-cwt, 4x2, AA, Mk II, more often referred to as a 15-cwt Polsten AA truck (or similar).
When due to Allied air superiority this type of AA truck was not needed anymore, they were re-bodied with GS type bodies commonly found on British 15-cwt trucks.
Here’s a screenshot of one of these trucks. Odon Valley, Normandy, France, 21 June 1944.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFEC1408-207C-4AAE-9926-57F110C0296F.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	104203
Source: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1060019591

Quote:
DESCRIPTION
Object description
Traffic from formations deployed with 12th Corps in the Odon valley encounters difficult road conditions after the great storm of July 20th 1944.
Full description
Lorries, trucks, jeeps and motorcycle despatch riders belonging primarily to 43rd (Wessex) Division and 3rd Army Group Royal Artillery units are seen making their way along a badly- rutted road (outside the village of Marcelet) that has become a sea of liquid mud; among the numerous types of vehicle seen here are an Albion six-wheeled 3-ton lorry from an unspecified 43rd (Wessex) Division unit, two CMP 3-ton lorries from 504th and 505th Companies RASC respectively, two Dodge tipper lorries from a 2nd Army RASC unit, a Scammell heavy breakdown tractor ("Liberator") from 107th RAC's REME echelon, a CMP water truck from 179th Field Regiment RA, a Bedford MW truck from 13th Medium Regiment RA (which gets stuck in a pothole and has to be towed free), two Fordson WOT6 lorries (with 'A' squadron markings) carrying explosives for an unspecified 79th Armoured Division unit and a Humber heavy utility staff car.