View Single Post
Old 12-01-06, 03:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Re: Liberals hit vicious new low

Dear Sir/Madame,

As a past reserve military officer, I feel I am obliged to take umbrage with the Liberal Party regarding their ad regarding their supposition that Stephen Harper would call armed Canadian soldiers into the streets of our cities to oppress the People.

Nothing could be more ludicrous or more insulting to our honourable military, much less an insult to Harper and the Conservative Party.

Every generation of my family has seen military service in defence of this country since the War of 1812; that the liberals would stoop to suggesting we the military would rise against the People of Canada is a grotesque insult to every Canadian who has ever worn the uniform. I work with veterans now, and I am ashamed on their behalf. Who do these people think they are? Their arrogance astounds me.

It is clear that the Liberal Party as it exists now has lost any respect it might have had towards the people of this country, if it ever had any to begin with. This is further exacerbated by their stated intention to delete the notwithstanding clause in the constitution - this would effectively turn Canada into a parliamentary dictatorship, under control of an appointed Supreme Court directed by the Prime Minister at his whim.

Between their disrespect for the Armed Forces, their disrespect for all who have shed their blood on our behalf (more than a fifth of our young men and women went overseas in WW2 alone) and their disrespect for the age-old traditions which made this great country what it is - these despicable people cannot be permitted to retain office. They have worn out their welcome.

Have they forgotten Vimy Ridge, Ortona, Juno Beach, Falaise, the Scheldt, the Rhineland, Korea and all our bloodsoaked "peacekeeping" operations since? Did our young men bleed for this?

I am furious.

Capt. Geoffrey Winnington-Ball
Toronto