View Single Post
Old 02-10-16, 06:03

Hammered them cold Mike. I got shown how to do it years ago and have done quite a few different types with success. Just seperate all the leaves and take the two main leaves and draw an outline on the ground in chalk. Hammer at close intervals from one end of the leaf to the other working a tighter curve. Each lower leaf needs about a 6mm gap from the leaf above it with the ends touching the leaf above it. Then when you clamp the centre bolt it will pull them all together and the spring will have a tighter curve. There is a bit if guesswork involved and you don't need to worry too much with the shorter leaves. Helps if you know what the distance from eye to eye should be. I couldn't find that spec in the Tilly manual so I just positioned the spring shackle in what looked like the right position and took that measurement. They may settle a bit but we will have to wait and see. I did my jeep springs like this years ago and they have lasted well. If you do heavier truck springs it pays to enlist the help of a young man to do the hammering. I have a heavy steel block with a couple of pieces of steel welded on the end spaced about 50 mm apart to form a bridge to hammer on.