View Single Post
Old 24-01-07, 03:06
Vets Dottir

Both ... the family history AND the detective work

My interest in my Uncle (I mentioned about him) came up full force for me again when I started a basic family history search and discovered the Virtual War Memorial site and found my Uncle Ed, through which I ended up finding MLU through a post in the Legion's message board about 4 years ago, and I've been here ever since. My Uncle Ed has been stuck in my head and heart as a great mystery since early childhood. I feel in love with his photograph as a 19 year old he was when the photo was taken. An MIA photo my Mom had ... and so on ... amazing when we walk back through our family lines just how many men (and women) served. And what an education about the world and people, events, we learn as a bonus. How can it not be addictive?

Knowledge about my Uncle/s and other relatives who served has been won through MLU-ers too (especially Mark ... thank you again Master Tonner )

My geneology searches just started stretching back in time and off in all sorts of branch directions ... like an umbilical cord (or several) stretching back through history. I'm not a fanatic ... but I am certainly fascinated.

If you happen to be lucky enough to be able to connect back to Hudson's Bay Company and settling Canada days ... and before, there is an astounding amount of information and data online, even family trees. Births, deaths, marriages ... and on and on. So much work is already done and online for free to find out, via other peoples searches. Actual documents all costs money, but Archivianet has a lot for the copying and pasting. Land grants, scrip, etc.

Isn't it amazing where our ancestors lead us in life and learning ... and even more amazing, the people they introduce us to through our searching?

I'll be 53 in April and past "all that" already. I just have unpredictable hours often! Must be old age?

Karmen