View Single Post
Old 23-01-04, 22:19
Vets Dottir

Unhappy Re: Victoria Cross Recipient from here

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
We have a "Memorial" in town for this man for receiving "Posthumously" the Victoria Cross and a Distinguished Service Cross. The Memorial is in the 500 Block of Vernon St, Nelson BC, right in front of the Post Office.

Lt. Robert Hampton "Hammy" Gray (Pilot)
Born Nov. 2, 1916 in Trail BC
moved to Nelson, BC.
died (Aug. 9, 1945)
Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve

He was flying a "little plane" and (single-handedly?) took out a huge Destroyer called AMASKUVA... he died when his plane went down in flames during that action...Aug. 9, 1945.

Well ... dammit. I walked by the Post Office today
and was blown away to see that the memorial for "Hammy" was trashed ... pushed over, broken in parts, and the plaque part that rested on top, inlaid in granite (the whole sculture was granite,the plaque was brass) is gone. I don't know thestory but it sure as hell looks like vandalism to me ... unless a car jumped the sidewalk, crossed it, and knocked the memorial over (the beating marks don't look like avehicle did it) I don't know where the plaque part is... hopefully it was rescued and the memorial will be rebuilt.

BTW ... in front of the Gov't buildings here,is another large 4-sided memorial, naming all the fallen soldiers from around here, from WW1 and WW2 and the Korean wars. Sad to slowly walk and read the lists and lists of so many men who sacrificed their lives, from this little area alone. Many men ...

sad