View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 12:28
MLU Administrator

Default my friend Geoff

Today, 10 years ago, Geoff Winnington-Ball passed away. While sad as he was far too young, I enjoy the fond memories I have of him. This is why I am sharing some pictures to remember the good times for all to enjoy.

Geoff really enjoyed being among WW2 veterans and people with the same interests. Geoff often said he was born one generation too late.

As you all know Geoff was the founder of Maple Leaf Up, but was also involved in the formation of the 1st Canadian Carrier Regiment Association and helped to get a group of veterans back to Ortona in 1988 for a Christmas Eve commemorative 'Dinner of Reconciliation' with their German counterparts. He used the power of the internet to spread the word by setting up a crowdfunding campaign (before that term was invented) which successfully raised $100,000.

When I first met Geoff in Canada, December 1999. During a dinner with veteran Art Bell:
Click image for larger version

Name:	kangaroo_xmas.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	117886

MLU goes to Beltring 2000 - Geoff chuffed to have hitched a ride with Mike Ebeling in his Otter:

Name:	Geoff.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	117890

Kangaroo Luncheon in 2003 - Geoff among some of his beloved veterans: William Miller Sr. and Art Bell to his right:

Name:	reunion.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	933.1 KB
ID:	117887

Normandy 2004, with MLU friends in front of one of his favourite CMP vehicles:

Name:	imm020_21.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	117888

Beny-sur-Mer, Normandy 2004 - Geoff and his son Shawn paying their respects and placing a marker at the grave of Rifleman Edward Smith:

Name:	imm029_30.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	673.5 KB
ID:	117889