View Single Post
Old 21-01-10, 16:36
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Whoops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Depends on the type of snow, of course. My tyres are 32-11.50x15s (deep dish rims which replaced the standard 16" factory rims) and they seem to do a pretty good job. The 31-10.50s I had on my old jeep were ok, but tended to dig into really deep, fluffy snow, whereas these seem to float a bit better (plus they have a really aggressive tread pattern for bite). I think the 33-12.50s are just a bit too much though, even if they do look good. I'm running 4.10 diffs, but I think I should have gone for a bit higher ratio; in a headwind on the highway you can't pull fifth gear at normal speed limits (2WD of course).

I LOVE big pickup trucks, but the advantage of this in mud or snow is its short wheelbase. I can always pull a trailer if I need extra carrying capacity.

Jif

PS: Gas mileage with this 4L engine sucks anyway, so I'm not too worried. Might change it out for a 4BT diesel down the road, but this engine's still strong so I'll leave it for now.
Hi Jif..
You say...
"I'm running 4.10 diffs, but I think I should have gone for a bit higher ratio; in a headwind on the highway you can't pull fifth gear at normal speed limits (2WD of course).
If you put higher ratio diffs in,both of course..say 3.71:1..you would be in second gear in a head wind...that would really suck..
But your overall gas mileage would improve..mucho..
The old flat head Fords..'49-'54..had 4.11:1 rear ends.. they were the ideal ratio for making the old girls "Peel"to impress the chicks at school..no top end..but fast enough to scare a fellow..That is why they came out with overdrive.

You may want to look at your transfer case instead.This would be your best bet...change the input gears..
Check this out..
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

There are 40 something gear variations in the transfer cases..so there is something there for you..
Changing your diffs would not be the answer..
Check this out..
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...nput_gears.htm

Enjoy..a good project for the barn boys..
Or the Scag..when he isn't busy..