View Single Post
Old 24-07-03, 19:59
Vets_Dottir

Smile

JIM: Mark and Geoff beat me to it... Mark while I was busy making a smart-ass reply to Bratty Bob and Dave.... meanwhile...a little PS: to Marks reply...

I only sent in My Uncle's name, service number, and death dates (I won't know his birthdate until I get his records) along with copies of the "In Memory" write ups from the War Graves site(you know the pages from Veterans Affairs. That was enough (along with the explanation that I was Edward's neiceand that I wanted the records for writing afamily history and geneology.

Be sure to give all your correct contact info and they'll probably send you a letter confirming they received your request and giving you a "file reference number" for the particular search.

1-866-578-7777 is the toll free number of Natinal Archives to call and ask questions about requests etc.

1-613-947-8456 is the FAX number (I think you can fax the request) and this number is DIFFERENT than the one MARK gave. This is the number that was actually on a letter I received from their PERSONNEL RECORDS UNIT RESEARCHER SERVICES DIVISION this June from the archives.

Sad thing is an extreme backlog of requests so you could be waiting quite a few months before you get the records UNLESS you have a good enuf reason to "fast-track" the request...I'd ask about this when calling the toll free number

Ain't this place something??? One little question brings an inundation of answers andinformation ( I LOVE IT!!! and the people in this joint) Karmen