View Single Post
Old 22-07-03, 15:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Welcome, Jim!

I did get your email, thanks, it's in my queue for answering, but because you're here I'll respond here instead.

If you're writing a detailed account of his month in France, you will want to access as much official information as possible. Ideally, this means getting a copy of the unit War Diaries covering at least the time up until his death. Prior to this, though, if you haven't done so already, get a copy of the gentleman's service records from the National Archives so you will be able to trace his movements through the "system" and compare with other historical happenings at the time. We can help you interpret those records.

You will also want to buy the book indicated on this page:

http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwpa/campus_upda...05_30_01.shtml

I haven't seen it, but it may be of some assistance to you.

Geoff

PS: My first commanding officer in the service started out HIS career as a Rifleman with the Reginas, landing on D-Day. Wonderful man.

Good luck, but check back here; if we come up with more or better answers, they'll be here. BTW, the Reginas were part of the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade together with the Canadian Scottish and the Winnipeg Rifles. At Normandy the 7th Brigade landed on Love and Mike sections of Juno Beach, between Courseulles and La Riviere.