View Single Post
Old 05-08-18, 21:01

Paraphrased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Thanks, . . . can you tell me what ‘War Supplies Ltd’ is as I have not heard that term before?
Ford of Canada did ship universal carriers to the British Ministry of Supply under WSL 72.250. Each carrier was boxed, the box given a number, the carrier WD number was listed on the weights and measures document. For example, on 15th October, 1942, case #2 contained T174801. (A boxed MK-I* carrier weighed 9,400 lbs.).

The standing order book at Ford Canada was reported by Watson with notes showing War Department (WD) numbers allocated to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and East Africa.

You may know CDLV, (Crown Department of Land Vehicles) or simply the contraction ‘CD’ were Canadian contracts. SM were British, A for Australia and NZ for New Zealand. That information is published by Watson in Volume 1 at page 294.

The Canadian government supported other countries through assorted Mutual Aid programs; their contracts appear to have AID/GB, AID/USSR, AID/CHI, followed by the appropriate numerical order, i.e.: AID/USSR 59.

Roger Lucy, the late Clive Law, Hanno S. and others have discussed in some detail the WSL and Mutaul Aid minutiae back about 2010/2011.

Last edited by Michael R.; 22-01-20 at 05:22.