View Single Post
Old 06-07-10, 01:30

Richard I spent about 3 years visiting various archives re pre 1941 AFS, NFS and CD vehicles.. I established the Heavy Pump Units were K2 long wheelbase , the Auxiliary Towing Units were K2 short wheelbase, The 60 Foot hand operated Turntables were K4 as were the dropsides converted to Mobile Dam Units. The Civil Defence Column Rescue Tenders were on the militarised K3. In all cases I found period records which enabled me to match Registrations to chassis numbers. So you could imagine how the wind was taken out of my sails by this one; I eventually found a couple more of FYY reg where the owners said they were K3 The penny then dropped FYY 288 is not a Heavy Pump Unit it originally carried a much less common Extra Heavy Unit and has an extra locker per side compared to the K2 mounted Heavy Pump Unit. A Heavy Pump Unit has 4 outlets on the pump whereas the Extra Heavy has 6; I then found that the unit mounted on FYY 288 in preservation is actually a substitute as it was originally obtained from scrap minus a pump unit.

TED