View Single Post
Old 11-03-24, 18:51

Default Stencil Cutting Systems

A new addition to my 52-Set Project tools arrived last week, a Cricut Maker cutting system.

This particular model now has 2 and 3 upgrades but the original Maker is still the powerhouse worker. The problem was, here in Canada, this product currently runs over $600 Cdn after taxes. Several years back, I had chatted with Tony Baker on his 1/4-Pounder Thread about the merits of this type of equipment in our restoration hobbies for stencil and letter cutting, but the price always kept it on the back burner.

In order to replicate the original front panel decals, and more importantly, get them in the correct spots on the Supply Unit, I will have to cut a very precise stencil. Not something I am keen on tackling by hand and eye alone anymore. This Maker accepts Vector graphic software instructions, along with several others, so getting a drawing up to the correct size is easily doable, once you master the machine and programming.

I was trolling the Cricut Canada website a couple of weeks ago and was stunned to discover Cricut finally adopted the Apple approach to selling stock returned on either consignment, or from shuttered 3rd Party Vendors. Like Apple and Lego, Cricut has iron control over their products. Nothing ever goes on sale or gets cleared out without their approval, so they get a lot of returned goods back at their warehouses where they are opened up, reinspected and repacked in ‘White Box’ packaging. And they are then resold with full warranty at impressive discounts. This Maker, by comparison to its actual book value price was available all in, with taxes and free delivery, for $257.60 Cdn.

Let the Learning Curve begin!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Cricut Maker.JPG