Old 11-09-12, 15:51
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Answers to questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by easo View Post
More questions,

Rego, yes or no.
Club or Full.

Tight turning, does the steering still follow when conducting tight turns?

Reversing, again how does the steering behave when going backwards?

Length of A-frame, how did you decide on the right length?

Breaks, do you have a set up for brake away brakes? Does it require them?

What does a Jeep Weigh?

Reason I ask, I have a 1957 Series 1 Land Rover and by doing it this way is so much more practical over a car trailer. I miss my car trailer.

Regards Easo

P.S. Look forward to seeing it at Corowa.
Hi Easo

I obtained a copy of the Department of Transport Fact Sheet governing the legal requirements for "A" Frame towing. This explained to me all I had to do. I gave a copy of the fact sheet to a local Trailer Manufacturer who build the "A" Frame to the required specifications.

The fact sheet is specific about "A" Frame towing:

1. The maximum speed when towing is 100 Klm per hr.

2. The vehicle combination must be capable of turning within a 25m diameter circle.

3. Reversing with an "A" Frame coupled combination is not recommended, due to the lack of diectional control. (but not a problem)

4. Maintain a space between the combination not exceeding 2 metres. (My "A" Frame is 1.4 m. long)

5. Must be equipped with safety chains. (Mine are 8mm.)

6. Overall combination is not to exceed 19.0 metres.

7. Both towing and towed vehicled must be registered. (My Jeep is on Club Registration and I fill in the log book when being towed.)

10. I worked out a simple mechanical braking system. (See my photos at the beginning of the thread. works perfectly.)

11. They work out a 3.5:1 ratio that means if the towing vehicle is 3.5 Ton and the towed vehicle is 1 Ton and the combination does not eceed 4.5 tons no brakes are requied. also if the jeep did not weigh more than 750 Kilo then no brakes are required regardless of the weight of the towing vehicle.

I am not required to have a break away braking system as the safety chains are all that are required. I have towed the jeep at varied speeds, through hilly terrain, around roundabouts and through the busy parts of town and everything went according to plan, no problems. One thing to remember is that you must be moving for a few metres before doing a turn as it is not a good idea to do a sharp turn from a still start, as the wheels won't follow you, you must be moving.

Daily Trailer hire is becoming more expensive all the time and I do not have space to store a trailer at home. The "A" Frame solved all my problems. It is also a lot lighter to tow the Jeep than a heavy car trailer with a Jeep on it, I expect my fuel bill will now also be lighter. My Jeep weighs around 1,000 Kilo.

If you like I could forward you all the information you require. send me a PM and I will advise my email address and phone number.

Cheers

Tony