View Single Post
Old 08-10-10, 03:50
Derek Heuring

Default Too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
Quote"....seems supermarkets can sell meat from any county as made in UK if its packaged here...."

Same problem here - that little glass bottle of apple juice was probably shipped from somewhere overseas in a tanker at the bottom of a 50000 ton load of heavy bunker fuel, but because it's bottled here it gets the label " made in CANADA.

And I truly have to shake my head at the local yokels with the bumper stickers that say " Out of a job yet ? keep buying foreign!", yet most pf the components in their " domestic" vehicles are made offshore or down-continent

f

The quandary one has today, likely thanks to NAFTA, which unfortunately I can't blame on Obama, and to a lesser extent AutoPact, is to determine truly not just where the vehicle was built (read assembled) but also where the components were made (assembled?). Case in point; I'm looking to buy a new truck so I went to the local Dodge dealership last Monday and looked at the new Ram Crew Cab 1500 with the 390hp Hemi engine. The sticker proudly declared 87% North American content so I read further only find that the engine is made in Mexico. Well I remember the commercials on TV where a couple of "good ol' boys" ask the proud driver of a new Dodge truck if, "that thang got a Hemi?!" Perhaps in the interest of accuracy they should be asking, "Oy Esay, su camietta tienes uno Hemi?". Not that I've got anything against Beaners...sorry, Hispanics...after all, GM Target Master engines have been made in Mexico for decades but if that most American of Auto manufacturers, Toyota, can build trucks in Texas then why the heck can't Dodge.

Derek.