View Single Post
Old 15-01-05, 00:20
Dog Robber

Karmen:

Interesting point you make.

I grew up in the States, the most racist of the advanced countries that I was/am aware of (we are not talking about South Africa or whatever here). I moved to Sweden at age 34 and found that mixed race marriages, particularly white/black, were a non issue.
Travelled, as I have recounted, and found that in the UK, Scandinavia as a whole and France for example it was the same.

I don't knowthat much about the central and west of Canada, but when I lived in Toronto, it was the same, there was no issue with mixed race marriages whatsoever that I could find.

In Western South America, mixed race "liasons" are an accepted fact of life but not necessarily an accepted fact of the social fabric. A mixed race child is a "bastard" even if they may succeed based on the father's or mother's white or "hispanic" connections.

I have little experience of Eastern South America but I do believe that there is more tolerance for the issue from both mixed marriages and "liasons" than in Western South America as there were slaves imported from Africa to the eastern parts of South America and generally speaking not to the western parts.

Again, please do not take my musings out of context. I have the highest confidence that the current crop of civilized countries, if that is not an oxymoron, would not fall into the genocide trap again. But, as a student of history, even an amateur, I can see that it could happen.

Now, go fix GWB a glass of wine or a beer or some vodka. We are probably already giving him a headache.
Cheers
Bill