Thread: Flying
View Single Post
Old 25-07-03, 03:45

Default "The Day of the Typhoon"

Hello Geoff,

On the 2nd TAF book front, I was lucky enough to pick-up a book at a library book sale called "The Day of The Typhoon - Flying with the RAF tankbusters in Normandy". It was written by a fellow named John Golley, who flew Tiffies with 245 Squadron from airstrip B-5 at Le Fresne Camilly. He was there through all the Falaise fighting as well as Mortain. A very interesting read. I highly recommend. My edition was published by Wren's Park Publishing in 2001. It featured a forward by Roland Beamont.

Another book I recommend would be "Mosquito, Typhoon and Tempest - at War" by Chaz Bowyer, Arthur Reed and Roland Beamont. It's one of those large format hardcovers that is a reprint of two older Ian Allen publications in thier "At War" aviation series. It's a collection of reminiscences about the aircraft as told from many angles - from designers to armourers to pilots. Another good read. I think I ordered mine from Chapters a couple of summers ago - it was in their bargain history section as I recall.

Good Luck in Your Searches

Peter Nenadovich