View Single Post
Old 12-07-18, 23:02

Default How old is your gas?

Hi Rob

First question with any engine not running correctly these days is how old is your fuel? When did you do your most test did it happen to be during the recent heat?

Recently did a three day convoy in that heat in the Northeast and we had a number of vehicles exhibiting similar problems in our case they would run down the road fine but if we got held up at a standstill for any length of time one or more would start running rough.

Two or three of the trucks this was probably actual vapor lock, or boiling of the ethanol which boils at something like 170F. One Jeep it probably was a coil that had become temperature sensitive.

I had problem with my 3ton CMP at one point after long hard runs pulling over to deal with somebody else problem my truck would start running rough. In that case I suspect the change was because I had switched over from one tank to the other. The second tank may have been 2-3 months old.

You said you "put a new coil , condenser, rotor, plugs" were the old parts known to be bad or was this just precautionary? Did you replace the points? If old coil, and condenser were OK, might try putting the old coil back and see if the problem goes away or remains. Unfortunately "new" doesn't necessarily mean good.

I concur on checking that the tank is venting, mud wasps like to plug the vents.

Please keep us posted on what you find, learning experience for us all.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com