Thread: Stencils
View Single Post
Old 26-04-16, 04:26
VMVC

Default Swap meet and on-line haggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack neville View Post
. How often do you try and haggle only to get the response "that's the price mate. I can get better on eBay".
Hi Neville,

And my reply is "Good, stick it on EBay and you wil lose at least 15% of the price, including postage, to EBay and PayPal fees anyway". EBay is littered with bad feedbacks of car parts sellers too.

Another factor is unrealistic prices people ask for their items.

I recently contacted a Gumtree seller of a NOS oil filter canister for a Ford Flathead 8BA to make an offer. He had it for $75 and got no response for over a month so he said he tossed it into the scrap bin during a cleanout but hadn't got around to taking the ad off Gumtree.
If he had put it on for $25 or even $40 he probably would have sold it the same day the ad went on. Now it does no one any good except the scrap metal merchant who took away the skip.

You only have to see the CMP paddock dwellers on Ebay or Gumtree stripped of almost everything worthwhile but priced in the $3000+ range to imagine that well-intentioned, but unknowledgeable friends have been advising them what they think it is worth.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed