View Single Post
Old 12-03-12, 10:54
former Resident Historian

Default '40 Ford

I know little about the specifications of the 40 or so '1940 Model' (although arguably they were '39s) Ford 15-cwt trucks...I have yet to find THE file in the National Archives that relates to them specifically. If it exists I should like to find it. What I can say is that so far as I can see the front axle was a Timken front axle quoting Sid Swallow...he also said that they used 'Chevrolet' front axles but Timken supplied Chevy and GMC.., and may be wrong, that there was no Windsor-built 101" wheelbase COE in Canada back in late 1939. I have a photo of a lineup of F15s plus one or two of the '40s...you can compare the 'production' ones with the 'pre-production' '40s.

Again from memory I can say that when the '38 GS trucks were requested to be supplied by the DND, the order was to be split more or less down the middle between Fords and Chevrolets [Contract Demand Stores 689 was issued in early November 1937 to Ford and G.M. of Canada]. In the end Ford of Canada declined to proceed with the order and so GM of Canada stepped in and supplied a second batch of Chevrolet trucks [26 Chevy; 25 Ford though originally 70 total were wanted; despite the assumption that Ford would tender for the supply of the 25 required 15-cwt. Trucks, they evidently officially declined the invitation to treat as they were not able to produce them to the price required. Another reason was that the pilot truck had been assembled in a small area, and there was probably no area to assemble them: March 1938]. In due course a further batch of GS trucks was ordered and I assume that a contract was placed in 1939 with Ford. Being lazy I have lleft the quotation from my notes in full and not edited it:

Quote:
Dewar then wrote to Carr on 22 September 1938 and requested that he see the approval in principle of the recommendations in connection with the provision of machine-gun carriers and Ford G.S. Trucks. It was presumes that it would now be possible for Carr to go ahead with the Ford Company, but with regards to Canadian Vickers, it was thought that the proposed contract should be carefully reviewed in order to ascertain whether or not it would be economical to purchase separately those article for which Canadian Vickers had not got the exclusive licence for and to arrange for assembly.[1]This was then sent on by Carr for the approval of the Minister. Note that Canadian Vickers Limited had an exclusive licence to produce Vickers’ products in Canada, and that extended to the “Bren Gun Carriers”. Vickers-Armstrongs Limited were based in London, but manufactured a succession of Carden-Loyd tracked and armoured vehicles in a northern English factory, and had done so since The Great War. The company seems to have been keen to promote their armaments to the War Office, and had in the past emphasised the concerns over foreign competition in the British market and stressed the importance of foreign sales.[2] It is clear that it was perceived by the D.N.D. that series production would not be practicable by the Canadian arm, and that production elsewhere, without infringing the solus licence, would be required. It is not revealed whether Ford were being considered at this early stage, but a clue is that on 24 September 1938, Deputy Minister LaFleche wrote on both the Ford truck file H.Q. 38-72-335 and also the Carriers file, 543-V-48, to the Ford Motor Company of Canada. The Minister commented that the D.N.D. was now [at last?] considering the placing of an order with Fords for “a number” of General Service 15-cwt. Trucks. The complete specification for this vehicle was attached for their information. Minor alterations to the body were under consideration and would be forwarded. However, such alterations would not materially affect the production. The number of vehicles to be purchased was to depend largely on the cost thereof. It was therefore requested that Fords quote for 20, 40 and 60 units. Payment would be effected on a cost plus basis, but for the purpose of budgeting the funds then available, an upset price should also be given. On the assumption that progress payments would be effected during the course of the contract, it was desired to know the sum which would be encumbered month by month from the date of placing the order up to the and including 31 March 1939. As Fords were aware, a number of these trucks had been recently purchased from G.M. and for that order the Dominion Rubber Company and Fires-tone Tire & Rubber Company supplied the tyres. In order to increase the sources of supply for this sized tyre, could Fords arrange to bring into production at least one other company and possibly two, depending upon the number of vehicles finally ordered. At that time, deliveries of any of the trucks would not be required until the spring of 1939, but should an order be placed for any quantity up to 60, delivery would be required to be completed not later than 1 June 1939.[3]

Ellis requested on 12 October that Carr send copies of drawings of W.D. wheels, code HA 645 also HA 739, presumably for use in the proposed 1939 trucks.[4]This adherence to War Office specifications was to ensure interchangeability between Empire vehicles in the forthcoming conflict.

No response had been received for quotations for the trucks by 6 February 1939, even though after the 24 September letter, Ellis and Carr had had conversations in respect of the requested production of the 15-cwt. G.S. Trucks. The D.N.D. were anxious to place orders and were concerned at the lack of a response![5] The explanation for the delay was that it was in the course of preparation and Ellis even offered to visit Ottawa on 20 February in order for the D.N.D. to peruse the written rejoinder.[6]Note that Charles Burns, former Director of Contracts, was now Assistant Deputy Minister! This appointment was then postponed, however, and it is not known if there was a subsequent one or whether the requisite letter was merely mailed to Ottawa.

[1] 22 September 1938: Memorandum: Dewar to Carr, File H.Q. 38-72-335/543-V-48, ibid.

[2] April 1927-November 1931: Letters from Charles Bridge, Vickers-Armstrongs Limited, London, to Liddell Hart: Liddell Hart papers, 15/3/66, King’s College, London.

[3] 24 September 1938: Letter: LaFleche to Ford, File H.Q. 38-72-335/543-V-48, ibid.

[4] 12 October 1938: Telegram: Ellis to Carr, File H.Q. 38-72-335, ibid.

[5] 6 February 1939: Letter: LaFleche to Ford, File H.Q. 38-72-335, ibid.

[6] 13 February 1939: Ellis to Burns, File H.Q. 38-72-335, ibid.