View Single Post
Old 30-08-21, 18:01
Terry Warner

Default The tin worm's lair

The 74 Pattern has been with Dave for two weeks now. He's removed just about all the mechanicals, and we're now giving the sheet metal work the 12" inspection. As expected it has rotten panels covered with patch panels, self-tapping screws, and Walmart's best olive green Krylon paint. I have about 10-lbs of aluminum diamond plate which will go to the recyclers. I'm responsible for some of those repairs when the road safety inspection was pressing. And, I always knew the underlying damage had to be addressed.

Dave and his helper swore new words after unbolting, more accurately breaking all the bolts, that hold the roll cage on. By a quirk of geometry, the light switch had to be removed for clearance on one leg. But the rot and rust under all six the mounting plates shouted its ugliness when exposed to bright sunlight, and now it cannot be ignored.

Dave has previous experience with fabricating another M151A2, so as pieces came off and components were moved, he's remembering all the labour he put into the other one. Fortunately, despite its problems, mine is in much better condition that what he started on. We've already decided which panels to buy new reproduction, which get rebuilt with new flat stock, and which get repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210829_1448503 resize.jpg   IMG_20210829_1449088 resize 2.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 30-08-21 at 18:04. Reason: wrong photo