View Single Post
Old 21-01-20, 10:32
F60S

Default On the road

Well, on Sunday we spent some time shunting vehicles around and got the Lynx out of the barn at last. Remarkably all the vehicles started and moved without any trouble.
We then celebrated by taking it to the Half Moon pub 3.5 miles down the road.
First impressions were good: very cold on the eyes and hands without goggles and gloves and no flies eaten.
The steering is good and the brakes adequate when I can find them. I am still to get used to the offset seating position. The time lag, caused by the hydraulic throttle and clutch controls, that I had been warned about, was not present on this vehicle - my gear changes were just as bad as when I am in the F60S.
The vehicle pitches a bit but not as bad as when we picked it up and towed it on a solid bar.
The armoured roof, folded back, makes a terrible racket. Even the Stukas would have heard it. Presumably there are some discrete rubber pads to be added.
It seems to understeer but I was not going fast enough to induce slippage in the front tyres so I think it is just a matter of getting used to the fact that there is very little vehicle in front of the driver giving a different perspective on the road.
I felt that I was going like the wind but my brother Gordon, who was following in the tow car just in case, tells me I was doing only 30mph.
I did not measure the fuel consumption but it is sobering to think that if I have the reported fuel consumption of 4mpg I should have used nearly 2 gallons for the round trip.
Anyway, here is a picture of it in the open. You will see that I have added easily removeable head lights and indicators for public road driving.
Alastair
Attached Thumbnails
Lynx reduced.jpg