Thread: 9.00-13 Tyres
View Single Post
Old 06-08-03, 22:13

Default tired of tyres

Hi Dirk

The K2 that I saw at Duxford also had the Mitas tyres fitted and they looked good. with a fairly convincing tread pattern too.

My problem stems from the local vehicle testing station that is not happy passing on an MOT test implement marked agricultural tyres.

I have checked with the UK body responsible for MOT standards and they say there is no reason not to use these tyres, but was then refered to the ministry of transport who also advised that there was no mention in the regulations of using these tyres. the inference was that as long as they met the ale loading and speed limit specifications set by the manufacturers then it was '....probably ok'!

However both qualified their statement by saying that the advice was just that 'advisory'.

None of this is really a problem until there is an accident or other problem where the nature of the tyres are called into question, at which point it would be too late!

Niether organisation would put anything in writing for me either!

I am currently waiting for a further comment from the ministry of transport that may possibly claryfy things a little more.

Heres hoping...

The is apparently a batch of tyres out there that have a 12 ply rating but are again implement. You would have thought that they were stronger still and well up to the job.....

I will pass on to the forum anything else that I find out...

I hope that I don't have this much trouble sourcing trackgrip tyres for the HUP... Thats the next job!

Fabulous looking C15TA. Feel free to pass on any tips on how you turn these jobs round so quickly and to such a high standard!!!

kind regards

Nick