View Single Post
Old 28-10-07, 11:53

Default Panther & Piloted V1 & V2 in Canada

Panther tank at CWM is the one from CFB Borden. I am not aware of a second one in Canada. Jim Whitham at CWM had Farley Mowat in last Nov (2006) and Farley seemed to think Panther was his, but was more interested in the V1. Jim Whitham had the transmission (?) out in November 2006. Bodren had allowed tank to deteriorate outside. Sheet metal in engine compartment in rough shape. Front axles (?) both cut. [OK, I'm an infantry officer, not an armoured officer so I don't know the technical terms for the tank parts.]

V1 at CWM is the piloted model. The CWM had the RCAF restore it as a regular V1 in the early 1960s I believe as that is what they wanted (!!!!). I asked the staff to find and put cockpit parts with it and they did so at Vimy House. In Nov she was next to the Panther with wings off and canopy sitting in place. I noted the angle markings on the side window(s). One of the current issue military magazines (fellow with flamethrower on cover) Nov 2007 WWII HISTORY Secret Reichemnberg Project - Nazi Kamikazes pages 36-39 and p. 90 (I do not own a copy).

V-2 was brought back to Canada and off-loaded and scientists took it apart. Empty shell of it last seem at Canadian National Exhibition next to a shiny new US rocket. We need Ontario boys to find it! Stangely, Canada developed rocket technology after WWII - I wonder where they got the ideas? (Same place as the Yanks!)

Yes, do read "MY FATHER'S SON" by Farley Mowat. Note on photo of the half-track with German crew one can read CDN. WAR MUS. on right side near rear corner!

Colin Stevens

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC