View Single Post
Old 17-11-23, 15:53
carrier mech

I was at one of the QMs on base to pick up some old tarpaulins to use here at the museum. The Sgt invited me to look down a row of shelving to look for anything MLVW, which are now obsolete, to see if we wanted it. While I found nothing of interest for the MLVW, I did spot two lonely no2 handles sitting by themselves. There was a stack of heads, but all were the US style. I pointed out that the handles would not fit the US heads, and a quick check showed they went right through. So they were added to the donation to the museum.

Although painted over the years, they were in fairly good condition, with one missing the lower ring. That one still has remnants of the Hercules decal on it, along with the Turner Day stamped on the handle. It was slightly shorter than the other one, at just 35 inches.
The second handle is a new one on me. It is embossed "Excelsior" and "2" on one side, and on the other side is "ST MARYS BEAVER" "Hespeler" which is located in Ontario, Canada. I was able to clean dis-assemble it, repaint the metal parts and clean the paint off the handle. That one will be going back to that unit on their Mk1 carrier which I am finishing off. It is 36" in length, which is a perfect fit for the carrier.

The head is one of the WV43 marked heads.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02074.jpg  
Attached Images