View Single Post
Old 16-04-05, 15:18

Default DiamondTs and..........

........Kangaroos. As I am only semi computer literate, I will post in this manner. Re the photos of DiamondTs in this string; my reply is based on the book DIAMOND T Type 980/981 authors:Les Freathy/Robin Pearson(Roundoak Publishing, UK, 2001); the one showing the collapsed Bailey bridge with DT and Kangaroo is in Holland in 1944(p. 50), the one showing the convoy was taken from an autobahn overpass, Germany, 1945(p. 51), and the one showing the D T with the jerry cans stacked between the cab and ballast-box was taken in Holland. The complete photo has a 40 ton Mkll Dyson trl attached to a 981, loaded with an LVT4 Buffalo moving up in preparation for the Rhine crossing(p. 49). The Canadian Army were also great "hooch" builders on the back of their recovery vehicles. During two tours in Germany I spent many a pleasant evening on the back deck of my Centurion and Leopard ARV in the "hootch". Not to detract from the original intent of the subj, I noticed the "T" before I noticed the cargo.