View Single Post
Old 22-06-22, 14:05
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Wasn't there a post here on MLU that brand-new, in-the-grease WW2-manufactured Inglis 9mm Browning Hi Power pistols were being issued from stores for the first time for service in Afghanistan in 2001? Some sighted examples had pristine "Canada/Kanada" Aid decals. I recall humorous comments that they were up 3 times older than the soldiers that received them.
In 1990 for the Gulf War my unit (90 HQ & Sigs Sqn) was stood up in a hurry using a generic Army signals squadron org chart with a hundred staff officers and assorted strap hangers tagged in. There was no parent unit to steal from.

My C7 rifle came out of a big cardboard box. Many of the NCO's and officers' Brownings were brand new from War Stocks. I was stunned to see at least two with perfect decals. Never mind the age, guns like that were more useful than some of the people they were issued to! I can think of a few castoffs posted to get them away from their COs. In my case I was a Pte Clerk with the right selection criteria (Division-level HQ experience, qualified, fit, available, volunteer, mature, previous green experience)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!