View Single Post
Old 29-03-05, 09:30
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Kangaroo Photos... thoughts.

Mark, Hanno:

If I may wade into the issue of "kangaroo" photos. Clive now has copies of the 100+ photos, newsreel stills and reference I sent him so I have looked at quite a few of these pics for a number of years now. I make no claims to be any kind of expert, particularly among the esteemed and knowledgable members of this forum. However, allow me to make a few observations.

In all the photos that I have that can be clearly identified as 1CACR and clearly 49APCR (and there are many) almost all the 1CACR Rams are mid to late production "ball mount MG" with the 6 digit CT #'s, Sherman type suspension. Almost all the 49APCR Rams are the early to mid production "auxillary turret type, 5 digit CT #'s. The Rams supplied to the British all retained their CT #'s right to the end of the war. The best evidence of this can be seen in the Pathé newsreel of kangaroos in Hamburg Germany May 3rd, 1945. British Pathé ID # 2026.02

1CACR were never in Hamburg so this IS definitely 49APCR. There is a lot of great footage of columns of kangaroos, some can be seen to be very early type Rams with the side hull doors! I also have pictures from the Henk Kupiers 49RTR/APCR website that show all early Rams and another with side hull doors.
http://home-3.tiscali.nl/~hgmkuip/bl...9frameset.html

I have a theory on why the regiments purposely got different allotments of Rams. This was for parts/maintenance purposes, primarily the difference in suspension and the likely hood of the suspension needing constant attention? Perhaps I am out to lunch on this?

Regarding marking, again, my observation in "identifiable" photos. "Generally", Canadians used crooked allied recognition stars, the 49APCR did not. 49APCR seemed to use some sort of letter/number troop marking on the rear hull corners. (ie. R9, S8, J2, etc...). Again this is observable in the above Pathé clip in Hamburg. The 1CACR used the round "kangaroo" stencil exclusively which can be seen in many photos and really well in some Pathé newsreels. I have not seen the 158 unit sign on any pics of 49APCR rams. I think the 79AD bullshead can be seen vaguely on the fender of 1CACR's "Frisky" in the Pathé # 1969.07... this is also a just a great reel to watch, lots of different armour.

Other observations, the 49APCR seemed to be more dilligent about neatly cutting back the front fenders. The Canadian Rams seem to always have lopsided fenders or bent up fenders that are ready to fall off. The Canadian seem to have more "stuff" on, around and attached particularly later in the war. Some identifiable 49APCR vehicles show horizontal bars welded across the seams on the transmission. It creates a ladder type of structure and probably made it easier for crews to mount up. The posted "Blerick" photo clearly shows this.

Identifying crews by their cap badges is difficult to do in pre February 1945 photo as 1CACR wore the generic CAC badge and 49APCR wore the generic RTR badge (not the RAC mailed fist) which are identical except for the wording on the scroll, "Canada/Fear Naught". Once the 1CACR got their 'roo badges it is much easier... in photos the badges tend to look like "anchors".

One of the pictures posted here is definitely postwar. The Ram coming over the hill, three vertical bars painted on the front, radio guy sitting in the aux turret. is part of a post war series that Bovington has and is similar to "kangaroo" excercises, Pathé newsreel 2525.26 circa 1950? BTW there are shots of other "funnies" in action in this reel (Crabs and Crocs).

The posted photo taken at "Blerick" can be seen at Henk's website listed above along with other photos from the same operation. In my copy of the photo I make the CT # to be 40856. RTR style badge clearly on the one crewman.

Well that's it. if I think of anything else I will post again. I look forward to your comments.

Bill.