View Single Post
Old 22-07-04, 00:00
Dog Robber

Thanks as always for the kind replies and help even if it is embarrasing that so many of you can do this stuff bang off and I struggle with my friend Hal.
I downloaded several items from Hanno's link and I will also read the owners manual for the scanner.

Geoff: I have had many conversations with Linksys' "Indian Connections" and the bottom line is this, it seems.
I have their best wireless system and it is set to it's highest parameter as regards distance. My house is built into a hill and it is fair for tall. Two high ceilinged main floors and a high ceiling cellar/basement. A great deal of the lighting in the house and all in the cellar is flourescent. My Lynksis system is now running from my office computer (the server I guess) to my wife's office computer in the room next to mine, a computer in her sewing room where all of the machines are PC driven and my laptop which resides in the living room or the back porch. As near as we can determine, the computer in the cellar which I am using now, is 80 linear feet from the router and is located within 10 feet of the series of boxes where all of the electric supply comes into the house as well as the cable for the TV. I never got around to putting a ceiling into the cellar so all of the wires running all over the house are routed just about right over where I am sitting buck naked so to say.

Thus, they say that none of their equipment can push the signal from two floors up to down here. As you say, I could hard wire this PC to the one in my office but that would be a real chore.
As it is now, I have moved the two modems to where it is a two second job to remove or replace the telephone cable from the jack. As well, I have a redundancy if one of the modems fails which does happen. I am sure a technical solution will appear within the next 12/24 months but I can live with this setup for now.

Again thanks and I will do some heavy reading tonight.
Bill