View Single Post
Old 21-07-04, 15:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Hal is alive and well and lives in my house

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Got on the phone to my DSL provider and learned a few things I did not want to learn. #1, what I got was merely another DSL "box/modem". As I have the DSL service to one phone number, I can only access the internet on one computer at a time which is hooked up to the same "box". I now have one box upstairs and one in the cellar...
OK Bill, here's the drill -- you do NOT need two modems for two computers. What you need is a small router to link the two computers through one DSL modem. I've been using one for two years now, and it's great! Safe, too, because it hides your machines through a built-in firewall.

You can get two kinds of routers: wired and wireless. The latter is the rage now, but I use a wired system. The only potential weakness with the wireless is that without proper safeguards, it can be hacked by someone witht he right equipment parked in a car outside your house. However, you can employ safety features which render this a moot point, and of course, using a wireless network, you don't physically have to run cabling between the machines.

But don't listen to me prattle on about it; go to http://www.linksys.com and read their technical section closely. You'll be amazed at what you learn and how easy it is! BTW, I have their 4-port router, probably the best for a home network application.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Oh yes... regards editing graphics... you basicallly have to use the rectangle feature in your program to highlight the area you wish to save, the look for a "crop" command to isolate that section of the pic. It basically cuts away anything outside your highlighted area. Just play with it, you'll figure it out!

Geoff